Wednesday, May 4, 2011

It Gets Better.

Remember how I told you that I cry at commercials?

This one (for Google Chrome, showcasing the "It Gets Better" project) was shown during a commercial break in last night's Glee episode, and it totally had me in tears due to its awesomeness. I love the message - that even when life is really hard, it can get better. I love the hope it provides to those who struggle. And I love that it shows the awesome power that people using social media can wield in making positive changes in the world.




It also got me thinking.

I don't want to steal thunder from this project, because I think what it is intending to accomplish is GREAT. But I couldn't help but feel... inspired.

We all know people who live with diabetes, who struggle. (Heck, WE are some of those people, sometimes.) People who live with deep sadness; hopelessness; depression. We know how hard it is to come to grips with what may be a lifetime of the emotional side of this disease; the looming threat (or current presence) of complications; the fear of what diabetes will "do" to us. 

Do you see where I'm going with this?

What if... we, as a community of People Who Talk let other people with diabetes know that It Can Get Better, so to speak? What if we put voices; faces to those words?

What if we started a video project (or had a day in particular that everyone blogged about this) for the people with diabetes who need to know it can Get Better? We could let them know that those dark times are something we all face; that we all experience. And that they never, ever have to be alone - because there are many of us out here going through the very same things.

Would anyone be with me on this?

Great things are done by series of small things brought together.   -Vincent van Gogh

No comments:

Post a Comment