Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Clumsy.

I seem to have a habit of running into things.

Despite years of dance classes as a child, I've evolved into a sometimes-clutz. There are times I find myself misjudging how close I am to the wall as I'm rounding a corner - and the wall wins that fight every time. I've also been known to trip up the stairs, catch my shoe on a part of the sidewalk I didn't notice, and the ice at the bottom of drinks often likes to attack my face as I'm taking that last sip.

Audrey Hepburn, I certainly am not.

Enter diabetes into the equation, and it can get to be an expensive (and painful) character trait. Many of us find that insulin pump tubing, when not securely tucked away, likes to hook onto whatever's handy: doorknobs, a stranger's arm, etc. The doorknob thing has happened to me more times that I'd like to admit.

More recently, I'm finding that my dia-clutzy self extends not only to my insulin pump, but now to my Dexcom sensors too. I'm wearing one on the outside of my thigh for the first time (and it's been almost scary accurate - was matching up to finger sticks only a few hours after I put it in, too, instead of the normal 12 - 24 hour wait). The thing about that particular location, though, is that it seems to be at the perfect height for banging into crap. For the last week, every time I walk past the foot of the bed...

CLANK!

Or past one of the dining room chairs...

CLANK!

Or brush up against the arm of my office chair at work as I'm sitting down...

CLANK!

I haven't accidentally ripped it off yet (YET!), but I'm thinking it's just a matter of time. Or maybe I just need to try a different part of my leg?

Anyone else's robot parts like to dance with their surroundings like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment