Friday, December 31, 2010

Wrapping Up 2010.

As I'm looking around the DOC to my favorite d-blogs, I'm seeing that most people like to do a "year in review" meme.  I like this idea, but I've got a problem:  I don't have a years' worth of material to summarize - only about half of that.  So while it won't fit the "typical" format, I'm giving you The Highlights Of The Year In Review - Of My Life (And Diabetes) In General.  (And Maybe Make The Title A Little Bit Longer?)

January:  Two very special characters came into my life, as I made the switch from a Cozmo pump to the Animas Ping; and also by getting my first CGM.  I officially became half-robot.  Oh yeah, we also bought and moved into our first house.  I love it here.

April:  Spending all of my free time on the interwebz got me thinking:  "Hey, if I have time for all of this browsing, I surely could fit some volunteer do-gooding in there, too."  I "tried out" for and got accepted into JDRF's Online Diabetes Support Team as a cyber volunteer (which means I respond to requests, based mainly on my personal experiences), and then was selected to be a volunteer moderator for Juvenation.org.  I still do both of these things (some disclosure for you - I do a lot of JDRF-ing! - but maybe you already knew that).  My A1C also clocked in at 7.1 - which was a great improvement from my pre-CGM numbers that started with 8's.

May:  I did something that I never thought, in a zillion years, I would ever want to do.  I completed my first half-marathon!

June:  A and I celebrated a year of marriage (geez, that went fast).  I started this little blog here.  I also had a birthday, and flew out to Connecticut to visit one of my best friends for a week.

July:  Sometimes, I felt a bit like diabetes had the steering wheel, but it didn't win all the time.  I also wrote my first strongly-worded letter to let a nationally syndicated columnist know that he was straight-up wrong about his diabetes-related "advice", and blogged about it.

August:  I posted a picture of my bra on the internet.  Yep, that happened.  I also talked about how much of a difference our little online community (which, actually, isn't that little at all) has made in my life.

September:  A very busy month that included my local JDRF walk, and my first diabetes conference - which is how I got my first chance to meet some DOCers in person.  I also time-warped back to what my childhood was like with diabetes.

October:  I got my first chance at doing a guest post on The Diabetes OC. Jim helped me achieve my first No Hitter.  And you guys helped me come up with some awesome rules - but I'm still waiting for that puppy.

November:  Things got a lot more wordy around here with Diabetes Awareness Month, and my goal of posting 30 times in 30 days (which I did!).  One might say I'm a diabetes snob, but at least I dress well.  I also had something very surprising to celebrate, and something a little bit awkward to talk about.

December:  We all got introduced to a 90's rock band called Blunt Lancet, I was flattered to see my name on this list and my voice on this radio show, and I got to meet some more awesome d-bloggers on a wonderful (but brief) trip to New York.

Bring it, 2011 - I've got big plans for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment