Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Passing For Normal.

I kind of love that of all the things my hair lady remembers about me, diabetes isn't one of them. 

image credit
Yesterday was Haircut Day, and I hadn't been there in over a year.  She didn't know it would be me ahead of time, because the receptionist had put me down as a new client (because apparently I was still under my maiden name, the last time I was there).  And when she saw me walk in, she exclaimed, "Oh, it's you!  I wondered when I'd see you again!"  As I settled into the chair and she started brushing away, we caught up.  I was amazed at the things she rememerbed - where I worked, my husband's name, and even where we usually travel to for Christmas. 

And when she asked me how I'm spending my time these days, I ended my sentence with, "...and I started a diabetes blog a few months ago, so that's been pretty fun."

Reflexively, she responded, "That's cool."  A few seconds went by, before she paused, a lock of my hair in her hand as she met my eyes in the mirror.  "... wait.  You have diabetes?"

"Yep, I do.  Type 1.  I wear the insulin pump and everything.  You never noticed?"

"Really?  Oh, wow, I guess not.  Huh."

And then we moved on to New Year's plans.

Even though I'm glad to talk about diabetes to anyone, I took some joy in the fact that I had passed for a "normal person" with her for the last 5 or so years.  It also got me wondering how many others in that outer circle of familiarity have me mistaken in the same way.  I think I count that as a victory - I'm a person, first.  And oh, by the way, I also have diabetes.  And fabulous hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment