Thursday, June 9, 2011

Puppy!

My condolences to our yet-unmarred, unscratched and unchewed furniture. To our nearly new carpet and wood floors. So long, slacking on exercise.

I'll miss you dearly, no-fur-on-my-clothes.

Because, you see, we're picking this guy up on Saturday to come live with us:


Corgiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!

And although I totally love dogs, and I've been dreaming of having a puppy for a long time, and Corgis are the cutest things I've ever seen, and I will pet him and love him and squeeze him and hug him and call him George (not actually calling him George), I'm frankly a little bit scared about all this.

I've mentioned before that I've never owned a dog, which is what's causing the majority of my apprehension. Aaron and I have been reading all about "puppy training" and "Corgi characteristics" online. We've talked to friends and family who have dogs. We've looked into obedience training. We're going to borrow some books. Plus, Aaron grew up with dogs - so he has a step up on me.

Yet there's still a part of me that wonders, can we do this? (Answer: listen to your own advice. Yes.)

So for anyone out there that has trained a puppy (this guy is currently about 3 months old) - or ever had a dog, actually - can you give me some advice? Recommend books? Tell me what you wish someone had told YOU when you were training a new dog? I could use the help.

(P.S. We do have a name picked out for him, but I'll wait until after this weekend to tell you guys. The suspense!)

No comments:

Post a Comment