Wednesday, January 12, 2011

A First.

Keeping in line with what has apparently become the time in my life where I'm Letting The Whole Darn World Know I Have Diabetes, I can now cross something off of my checklist that I never intended to.

I did an insulin pump cartridge change at work, out in the open.

My baggie of drugs.  It even has needles!

It's not a huge deal really, but it's the first time I've ever done this at work, outside of a bathroom.  As I plunged the needle into my Humalog vial, I noticed in my peripheral vision that my co-worker sitting with me saw the gargantuan "syringe".  She didn't say anything until I was about halfway through. 

"Is everything okay?", she asked curiously.

I responded, "Yep; just changing out the insulin cartridge in my pump.  Usually I go to the bathroom to do it, but I guess I didn't feel like it this time."

Co-worker:  "Yeah, I mean... why not?  There's hardly anybody in here, anyway."

And that was that.  No unwanted fanfare or grossed-out looks.  She sat through the whole thing, relatively unphased, and my lunchroom neighbors didn't seem to notice anything either - even when the "REEEEEEEEE!" sound of the pump rewinding filled the room.  (Seriously, why does that thing have to be so loud?)

Because my infusion set is in my lower stomach right now, popping it back into place was no big, either. 

Don't mind me over here - I'm just refilling my robot pancreas.  You may now resume to your regularly scheduled programming.

No comments:

Post a Comment