Saturday, November 6, 2010

The Plague, And Other Things I Avoid.

I tend to go back and forth between two schools of thoughts when it comes to diabetes and food. 

The first says that people with diabetes can eat whatever they want - you just have to figure out how to bolus for whatever it is you're eating.  The second says that some foods are just too evil, and should be avoided.

I'm not sure I can totally jump on board with either one.  I do believe that I can eat just about anything (in moderation) and figure it out, but I do have one exception.  In the spirit of that second school of thought, I thought I'd share which food I've totally given up on.  (Or, that I'll eat when I'm feeling spiteful and defiant.)  Try and try as I might, I just can't get it right bolus-wise.

The offender:



Man, I think my blood sugar jumped a few points just from looking at that picture.  It doesn't matter what kind - sugary, healthy, high fiber-y, small portion, not-so-small - all breakfast cereal messes with me.  I've tried bolusing 20 minutes prior.  30 minutes prior (and promptly dropped low before eating, then spiked like crazy).  I've tried a combo bolus.  I've tried a super bolus.  I've tried yelling.  Nothing works, and it bugs the heck out of me that I can't figure it out.  It's funny, because I'm pretty sure that cereal has always messed with me - but until I started using a CGM, I never noticed it.  And now that I know, I can't justify risking it most of the time.  Even though I Really.  Love.  Cereal.

Are there any foods you avoid, diabetically speaking?


No comments:

Post a Comment