Tuesday, June 17, 2014

A Bad Habit.

When my endocrinologist downloads the data from my Dexcom receiver later today during my appointment, she's bound to notice quite a few gaps - like the one last night, where there will be no data from around 11:30 pm until I woke up this morning at 5:45 am.


You see, about a half hour before that I had clocked in at 80 mg/dL. I had no insulin on board and no food in my stomach, as dinner was hours before that. I hadn't gotten much exercise that day or the day before, so I felt reasonably comfortable taking the gamble of doing nothing about a reading that teetered right on the cusp of being "low".


Literally the only things I did in the next few minutes were brush my teeth, plug in my phone, and lay down. I tossed and turned though, and couldn't find a comfy position. And when I finally did?

BZZZ! BZZZ! BZZZ!

Where the hell did that 67 come from? And then the 55? Mild sleepiness transitions to anger: Ugh, GOD, I'm fine, stop freaking out.

Again: BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ BZZZ!

That's it; I'm done. You're done. 

Some might say, "TURN DOWN FOR WHAT". Lately, I too often say, "SHUTDOWN FOR SLEEP".




#AllTheSocialMediaChannels

It worked out in this instance, but there's never any guarantee - when I turn off my CGM receiver, I'm opting out of a safety net. In theory this shouldn't bother me, as I should be able to use technology in the ways it works for me (and opt out of it when it doesn't), but that all too often comes with a side order of guilt. When I'm forced to decide, "what's more important - sleep or safety?", all too often the need to sleep has been winning.


No comments:

Post a Comment