Friday, February 11, 2011

It's Ridogulous.

Aaron and I had a date night last night. We got our Thursday Night Sushi, and topped it off with a stop for some ice cream (the real stuff!) on the way home. As I worked through my butterscotch sundae, something crossed my mind, and I thought I'd throw it out there to see what he thought.

"What if we got a Corgi?"

image credit here

(Sidenote: Corgis are my favorite dog. The short and stubby legs, the fur, the huge ears, the fact that they always look like they're grinning..... OMG.)

Anyway - Aaron knows how I feel about Corgis, but he also knows my apprehension about having a dog. Unlike Aaron and most other people in the world, my brother and I never had pets when we were growing up. My one experience with living with a cat as an early twenty-something left me sneezing like it was my job, and on a Zyrtec regimen (that I'm still on). Aaron and I have never had pets, nor do we have kids. It feels like we should add to the fam, in a furry way.

But there's also the whole puppy training thing, and the part where the dogs I find cutest seem to be the same ones that shed like crazy. I'm a bit of a neat freak, and I'm not sure how I'd handle that.

But I'd have a walking buddy, who wouldn't let me slouch on exercise, and a snuggle buddy. And a furball that would make me smile every time I looked at him.

Aaron made the mistake of indulging me. "What if we got two Corgis? They need a buddy, you know."

My eyes widened. And then the puns started, and I couldn't stop them. It was as if the weight of all those puns sitting in my brain had finally given way to gravity, and I couldn't do anything but fall right along with them.

"{insert friend's name here} knows a lot about dogs. Do you think we should collar?"

"I'll tail you what I think."

"Are you fur real about this??"

"Man, having a corgi would be ruff."

"Know why I love them? Beclaws they're cute."

"What if it doesn't like living with us? It might try to flea."

And then, when we were leaving the building: "Wait, where did we bark the car again?"

I may have done more harm than good to my dog-acquiring chances. I don't know if we'll actually get a Corgi or not - or if we do, when that will be - but it's a pawsibility.

No comments:

Post a Comment