Monday, August 30, 2010

That's What I Get.

For today's post, I do not aim to be eloquent or elegant.  What I do hope for is a gentle ear (or eye?) upon which I can recount this tale.

Simply put, Today seems to be what happens when I get cocky, and it's bleeping annoying.

For reasons I can't completely explain, Saturday and Sunday were great diabetes days.  I stayed around 90 most of the time, despite multiple snacks (yes, with carbs) and some SWAGing (no, I haven't kicked that habit yet).  This type of shenanigans-free blood glucose behavior is not normal for me; especially on the weekends.

Every once in a blue test trip, I'll get a day or two like this.  It gives me some confidence, and a sense of relief.  I almost start to think, Hey, you - this isn't so bad after all.  See how well you're doing?  And you're hardly trying!  You've got this!  It's all falling into place!  I want to give myself a big ol' pat on the back; like I've earned it somehow.  As if my 24 years of diabetes knowledge and experience has culminated to this focal point of awesomeness.

But, Today?, Oh no - today, that streak of awesomeness came to a skidding halt while I was at work.  Twice.

"Twice!!!"

One of the most frustrating parts is my inability to see where I went so wrong.  A little wrong?  Maybe.  But not 35 mg/dL wrong.

I ate the same breakfast.  Took the same insulin for it, 15 minutes ahead.  Then I drank my coffee - like I always do - and took a few units for it, like I always do.  I watched my number creep up to just below 130 on the Dexcom, and was still headed upwards when it was time for my daily 15-minute morning walk.  When I returned, I felt... normal.  Nothing out of place.  I got back to work, but after a few minutes felt a little weird. 

Ping and I consulted:  35 mg/dL.

"What?!?!", I shrieked, in the safe silence of my own head.  This didn't make any kind of sense.  A 15-minute walk at that time of morning is very consistent in bringing me down between 50 -60 points.  I had the same amount of IOB as I always do.  NOTHING CHANGED.

I ate some dried mango (in retrospect, not the most fast-acting choice, but that darn dietician I saw two weeks ago is still in my head:  "You need to eat more fruits!").  I waited 15 minutes, then checked again.  I was 65 and heading back up.  Whew!  Back to work.

An hour later, I'm feeling weird again.  Ping, what say you?

41 mg/dL.

"You have got to be flocking kidding me!!!", I once again yelled in my head.  Puzzled, I busted out the Starbursts.  I ate four, waited 15 minutes.  Still reading "LOW" on the Dexcom (which means under 40). 

Ate four more. 

Waited. 

"LOW". 

Ate the last four. 

Waited.

Ping told me I was at 100, and so I stayed above that for a little while - but only a little.

Lunch came and went.  My one-hour post-prandial blood test was 113.  (Sweet!)  But it came at a price - half an hour later, guess who came a-knockin'?

45 mg/dL.

I ate some more mango, the yogurt I brought but didn't eat yet, and then proceeded to also get a cookie later that afternoon.  And you want to know what that did?  I peaked at 152.  (....really?  That's it?  After all that carbtasticness?  Um, okay...)

I just really don't get it.  My basals have been unchanged for weeks, I was eating the same foods I always eat.  Bolusing the same exact way.  Nothing in my routine changed... except the outcomes.

Um, excuse me, Phil?  Could you come back out here, please?  I just need...

"Outcomes!!!"

Thanks, buddy.  I'm glad to have you on my side.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Sidenote:  Phil is a ClipArt image a co-worker and I use frequently.  Phil gets his name from the fact that he has "had his fill/Phil of this crap".  He always speaks in italics, and with multiple exclaimation marks.  Sometimes he says "Roight!!" with a Billy Idol-esque flair, but mostly he's just peeved about everything.  I have a feeling he'll be making more guest appearances on this blog in the future, so I thought I'd introduce you all to each other.)

No comments:

Post a Comment