Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Back On The Unicorn.

Back in the day, I had a fairly consistent workout routine in place that involved our Xbox Kinect and games like Dance Central (2 is my favorite, but 1 and 3 are pretty okay too) and Just Dance. I was able to stick with it because 1. no matter how crappy the weather might be, I could still enjoy what I was doing, 2. I didn't have to pack up a bunch of stuff or wear a backpack of some kind, 3. I didn't have to exercise in front of other people, and 4. did I mention it's dancing? 

It was fun, and I was good at it. I could genuinely say I liked it, and being consistent with exercise was a habit I had fallen out of, so this was kind of a big deal for me.




Then I got pregnant and working out became so uncomfortable (can't! ::pant:: breathe! ::gasp::) that I just gave up for a while. And then I had a c-section and sitting up, let alone, dancing, was a challenge for several weeks, so I had to take time to recover from that. And when I started to feel like a version of myself again I just put it off, because who wants to work out when you could snuggle a baby instead?

But one can only make that excuse and wear stretchy pants for so long - plus your kid can watch you work out from the safety and amusement of a nearby Pack 'n Play, so really, no excuses here - so I'm getting back on the unicorn/horse. I also know that regular exercise decreases my insulin requirements, and this "new normal" post-pregnancy but sans exercise is reminding me that I need to get back to it. (My "old" daily insulin total was about 75% of what I'm currently requiring.)

Last night was my first workout - one that would have been really easy pre-pregnancy; a 20-minute "easy start" preset list in Dance Central 2's "Fitness" option - and I did not like it. My body didn't move as quickly as I recalled; things jiggled that never did before; I felt sluggish and anything but nimble. I was uncomfortable the whole time. I felt like trying to dance in jar of peanut butter; my limbs slow to react and heavy with muscle memory loss. "But you've done this before!", I lamented. No matter; I was starting from below zero, all over again.

But I did it. I completed a workout, and I'll do it again until those feelings come back. I already feel better today (funny how that works...), and that helps remind me how important it is to make time for this each night.

Onward!


No comments:

Post a Comment