Thursday, April 11, 2013

Breakfast Woes.

"I think that's too many carbs for you right now."

My endo and I were reviewing several days' worth of Dexcom graphs, and it was glaringly obvious where my most consistent challenge lies: breakfast.

Overnight? Coasting beautifully. After lunch? No problemo. Dinner? Even that's not too bad. But breakfast? Breakfast is a jerk. Breakfast is a bastard who steals my lunch money and throws spitballs at the back of my head all morning. We hates it. We hates it forever.

"So what kind of stuff are you eating then?", my doctor asked. Every single day for the past handful of days, I'm soaring above 200 after my daily oatmeal, raisins, and glass of milk. It's a breakfast I switched to a couple of weeks ago as I had gotten tired of my usual egg casserole, and oatmeal is a breakfast I can eat while driving to work super easy and quick to make during my morning rush. I'm also trying to balance the whole "you're supposed to eat more whole grains and fiber and the baby needs carbs so quit low-carbing it at breakfast" thing, so I had thought oatmeal might be a good substitute.

It is not.

I explained, "I've been trying a different strategy pretty much every morning for the past week, without messing with my basal rates. Bolus early? High. Use an extended bolus? High. Up my insulin to carb ratio? High. Think about oatmeal? High."

"Maybe try something with some more protein? And let's increase your I:C ratio at breakfast, as well as inch up your basal rate a bit", she said, while I imagined her waving a magic wand.

And you know what? If improvement can be measured over just one day (it can't, but indulge me), she's right.



What's also encouraging is that my blood pressure measured lower than it has in years, my thyroid levels came back "perfect", my A1C result clocked in at a number my doctor and I were both pleased with, and I can't even get mad about gaining a few pounds since the last appointment because, hello, pregnant ladies do that.

I'm clutching to this moment where I feel full of win, and I'm running with it as far as it will let me go.

(Also, Baby Girl is moving around like crazy right now. She says "hi".) :)

No comments:

Post a Comment