Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Spaceships: The Saga Continues.

I think I'm giving up on Insets (as soon as my supply runs out, that is - frugal living FTW). Begin rant... nnnnow.

First, the adhesive area needs to either be bigger, or more sticky, or maybe both. Have you ever tried to stick a "Hi, My Name Is" tag onto your skin, after it's already been stuck to your clothing? It's like that, only a lot more expensive.

Tubing seems to curl up more with these than any other set. I have no scientific evidence to back up this claim, nor do I have a problem with curly things in general. Hair, ribbons, fries... they're all good. Tubing? Not so much. It gets everywhere, and doesn't stay where I put it.

While not impossible, I find it difficult to dislodge the key from the lock. The in from the out? The part that's attached to my tubing from the part that's attached to me. Yes, those things. It's probably a result of the "part that sticks to me" being sort of triangularly-shaped and smooth, which makes securing a good grip a challenging exercise in patience.

Most disappointing popsicles ever?
image credit
 And - this is my biggest quarrel - getting the spaceship removed from the newly-inserted infusion site (while not dislodging the site) is like trying to deactivate a bomb, except that no one is going to create a television series about this. Red wire? Green wire? Should I lean it to one side a smidge? Careful, careful now... no sudden movements... Okay! I think I've... AH CRAP NOT AGAIN. It's a design flaw... if the spaceship wouldn't eclipse (so many outer space metaphors!) the outer portion of the adhesive, I could hold down the set with my fingers while prying it lose - but no. All I have is the tail tubing, and that helps only marginally. I inserted a new set just a couple of hours ago, and there's a good chance that the cannula didn't make it under my skin... but I won't be able to confirm that (downside of the non-angled sets) for a couple more hours, still.

If you have tips for how to avoid the whole "how do I safely dislodge this thing" situation, especially, I'd gladly listen. I'm not sure which set I'll go back to - Spring or Comfort - but let it be known; the Inset is on my sheet list.

No comments:

Post a Comment